Double Chin Treatment
There are multiple contributors to submental fullness or commonly known “double chin” These include weight, age and genes. Our experts at Nexx MD will help you choose the best treatment to address this issue for you.
How to Treat – Alone or in Combination
Submental fullness, commonly referred to as a double chin, can distort the appearance of the facial profile and cause embarrassment or personal unhappiness. When the fullness is caused by stubborn fatty deposits that are resistant to diet and exercise, Belkyra can be used to dissolve the unwanted fat to improve the neck and jawline contours.
The active ingredient in Belkyra is synthetic deoxycholic acid which aids in the breakdown and absorption of fat. When deoxycholic acid is injected directly into submental fat, the adipose tissue is destroyed. Over time, through the body’s natural metabolic processes, the fat cells are removed from the chin area via the lymphatic system and naturally dispelled. Before a Belkyra treatment, our trained providers will determine if the injectable is the right procedure for your needs and develop a personalized treatment plan.
For best results, a series of injections are needed in 1 month intervals, up to 6 treatments in total. Typically, a numbing cream can be used but most patients are able to tolerate treatment with just an ice pack application prior to and immediately after injection. The goal of Belkyra is to reduce the size of submental fullness by destroying fat cells under the chin area.
- Procedure time: 20-30 minutes
- Anesthesia: ice with or without topical numbing cream
- Pain level: mild to moderate
- Recovery time: 3-5 days
- Results: within 1 month
- Treatment effects: best seen with 3-6 treatments spaced 1 month apart and maintenance over 9-12 months.
Fillers are made of hyaluronic acid which is a clear, gooey substance that is naturally produced by your body. Its main function is to retain water to keep your tissues well lubricated and hydrated. Injecting dermal fillers with the goal to target recessed chin or to correct jaw line and mandibular angle can be used as an initial step to address appearance of under chin fullness.
- Procedure time: 20-25 minutes
- Anesthesia: ice, vibration
- Pain level: Mild
- Recovery time: none
- Results: usually immediate, final results visible in 2-4 weeks
- Treatment effects: lasting 6-9 months. Best seen with multiple treatments and maintenance.
The state-of-the-art Morpheus 8™ is the first and only full-body subdermal adipose remodeling device, to target the deepest layers of the skin using radiofrequency technology. Radiofrequency technology is the gold standard for skin tightening and combined with this resurfacing treatment, it can tighten the skin caused by aging and under chin fat with very minimal downtime.
- Procedure time: 15-30 minutes
- Anesthesia: topical numbing cream and/or nerve block
- Pain level: mild
- Recovery time: few days
- Results: visible within 1-4 weeks
- Treatment effects: best seen with multiple treatments and maintenance over 6-12 months.